Friday, January 16, 2009

Maybe It's 'Cause of January

My bedroom is my favorite place in the world. We laughingly call it my home office because I spend almost all the time I'm home in there. I read there, do everthing I do online there. I even have a printer on Freddy's side on his bedside table with the printer cord snaked around behind the headboard.

This is my bedside table. On it are the things I love. The things that make life worth living.
A water bottle.

A cordless phone. Cordless so I can carry it to the kitchen to get coffee while I talk, as well as to the bathroom.

Clock radio with sound machine and a thing on the top that does this.















My new drug of choice "Head On". It's a topical anesthetic, homeopathic, that you smear on your head wherever it hurts which in my case is always over my left maxillary sinus and sometimes my whole face.

Vicks (in the drawer). Same application, usually. If I'm really sick I put it everywhere like when I was a kid. But I have to be sick enough to not care if my hair gets greasy. I have two jars in that drawer and more on the dresser. I love Vicks. I once heard a comedian say that he thought the government should issue Vicks to the general population because it's so wonderful.

Remotes. Four of them. One for the TV. One for the VCR. One for the DVD player. And one for the Direct TV receiver. That's why I can't get a home theater (which would go in the bedroom, by the way), because I don't have room in the nightstand drawer for another remote. As it is, when I put something on the table, something else falls off.

A cup of expresso made in my new, stove top expresso maker that I bought at Tuesday Morning in a fabulous, hinged and lidded box with four expresso cups and these sexy square saucers. (I can't figure out how to turn this picture 90 degrees to the right like it's suppose to be).

Drawing pencils. I started drawing faeries last night and worked on them a little bit again tonight. It's fun though I'm not particularly good at it.

A spa textbook from which I glean ideas I use to turn my clients into great drooling, euphoric idiots.

One of the three new books I bought Wednesday in Hot Springs. A Jack Canfield book about the Law of Attraction which, by the way, I know really works. We'll talk more about that, later. I also bought, "You Staying Young" (hardcover on the bargain table for $9.97 at Books-a-Million) and "The Real Age Workout" for $6.97.

My new Hancock's of Paducah catalog. Hancock's of Paducah has the most exquisite fabric. It makes you want to make somebody a quilt just so you can buy some of that fabric. That is if you'd ever finished the baby quilt you started for your (almost) 5-year-old grandson while he was still in the womb.

Toilet paper. Because there is no room on the bedside table for a Kleenex box.

The electric blanket control. How can an electric blanket bring so much pleasure to a life?

Yummy, soft, blue earplugs (in a condiment dish under the electric blanket control). They're called "Hear-Os" and they are the only thing keeping me from beating my husband's head in with a jar of Vicks for snoring so loud.

My eye mask. I started using it when I worked nights at the VA. I can't sleep without one, now. I have two. One here and one in my makeup bag for when I'm out of town. I also have more Hear-Os in there.

Really thick Lavender-scented cream that my friend, Dottie, gave me and which I slather onto my feet when I get out of the bathtub, sometimes, and which makes my feet feel totally yummy.

My cell phone. It's usually plugged in on the kitchen counter beside the refrigerator but I'm too lazy to take it in there tonight. Besides, the battery should be okay since it's been on silent all day and I missed all my calls.

My laptop. Not right now, of course. Right now it's on my....well...lap. But it lives on the bedside table drawer which is always pulled halfway out.

And the best for last.....Q-tips. I'm about Q-tips like my daughter is about the Ped-Egg. I bore my ears out, and anyone else's I can gain access to, every chance I get. My doctor said I have scars in my ears. I didn't tell him why. My perfect job would be cleaning out people's ears and popping their pimples and blackheads. I'm completely compulsive about those things. I sometimes think about deliberately feeding Freddy an abundance of fatty foods so he'd develop a bunch of really nice zits that I could then squeeze. I've considered going back to school to become an aesthetician so I could do "extractions", legally. Sometimes when I'm doing massage I feel a blackhead on a client's back and I have to really fight to not work on it. When I'm working in the ER and I know we've got a patient with an abscess, I start watching the doctor really closely to see when it looks like he's getting ready to go in and drain it so I don't miss it. Don't hate. I've seen other nurses like that. It's not that weird. We're abscess junkies. What of it?

So, I guess, that's pretty much it. My bedside table is like my whole life, right now. No direction. No organization. Messy. Lot's of potential but nothing really happening. I kinda like it but it's a little unnerving, too. My life, I mean. Right now, I mean.

1 comment:

Ordie O. said...

Post script: I have since finished the quilt I started for my oldest grandson when my daughter was pregnant with him. He will be 6 next month. But it's done now, isn't it.